Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Real "Carpet Bag"


In the South, we normally don't like to use the word "carpet bagger", but today, I'll make an exception. I ran across this vintage sewing bag as I unpacked a few storage boxes. Immediately, I thought to myself, "Wow, this is a real carpet bag!" It was in some of Aunt Mamie's things, so I'm sure she's the one who made it. Tucked inside, I found a couple of crochet needles and bright gold yarn--the kind we had in the 60s.

There are only three pieces to the entire bag--a woven rug and two handles. Each end of the rug is slipped into a handle slot and tacked down with heavy cotton thread, leaving the rug "fringe" on the outside. Then the sides are sewn from the bottom up about 3/4 of the way, with the seams inside. That's it! 

This project would be super easy for young and old. I've seen woven rugs in bright colors at many of the discount stores, some for only $1. What an inexpensive gift this would make for anyone who does needlework. I'm definitely putting it in my idea book!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...