Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Free Stuff, a New Book, and a Note!


Free Stuff?. . . .Yes!
I'm cleaning out and simplifying--again. . . .What to do with it?
I could (and did) donate to Goodwill and other thrift stores. . . .But, I thought how I love freebies and packages in the mail, so I decided to offer my blogging friends a few. . . .The only catch is you have to pay shipping and handling through PayPal. . .

I'll post the goodies at Our Old Country Store sometime this week. . . .and will be adding to the first batch along the way. . . .Watch for the first offerings. . . .Be sure to check back often. 
 

 And now. . . .I just have to tell you. . . .I'm so excited about Cindy Grisham's new book:
Don't you love that title?

Our farm, the cooks in our family, and a few family recipes are in it! 
So surprised and honored to be a part of all the other contributors! 

 Cindy visited with us last year, interviewing me about the food we ate while growing up.
I never dreamed she'd use that interview to feature our farm. . . .
Five pages +. . . .and a photo of the farm!

 Cindy interviewed and featured a number of farms and cooks from this part of the Delta. 
She also includes a detailed history of the area.
 "Up and down the Arkansas Delta, food tells a story. Whether the time Bill Clinton nearly died on the way to a coon dinner or the connections made over biscuits and gravy or the more common chicken and dumpling feuds, the area is no stranger to history. One of America's last frontiers, it was settled in the late nineteenth century by a rough-and-tumble collection of timber men, sharecroppers and entrepreneurs from all over the world who embraced the traditional foodways and added their own twists. Today, the Arkansas Delta is the nation's largest producer of rice and adds other crops like catfish and sweet potatoes. Join author Cindy Grisham for this delicious look into Delta cuisine."

If you're interested in a copy, you'll find it at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, and bookstores across the country. . . .Lots of good reading about the Delta foodways and it's people!


Just one more note. . . .I've been "down" with an inner ear problem. . . .So dizzy. . . .The floor keeps moving! . . .My tummy's not having fun either. . . .This has been a problem for several weeks. . . .which is the reason I haven't posted as much nor answered comments. . . .I so hope you understand. . . .I'll be seeing the doctor again this week. . . .Keep your fingers crossed for me that he'll find a medication that works. . . .I'm sooooooo ready to get back to normal. . . .and my blogging friends. . . .By next week, I should be standing straight again. . . .I hope. . . .

Thanks for your concern. . . .It's just a tiny bump in the road. . . .



15 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Dru, I'm so sorry to hear about your dizziness. I have a friend that has the problem so I have heard how hard it is. I know she says she throws herself backwards onto her bed and then turns her head from side to side and it helps when she feels a spell coming on. I don't know if that's a solution or not, but she seems to think it helps. Your header is so pretty. The ironstone with the white blossoms look just like you..Feel better and take care..Judy

Junkchiccottage said...

Dru,
Hope you get better soon. That must be pretty hard to live with. Good thoughts coming your way.
Kris

Pamela Gordon said...

Congratulations on the cook book. It sounds really interesting. I'm sorry you are suffering from dizziness for so long and hope you find something to correct it soon. Blessings, Pam

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Oh, my, I am not happy to hear about your vertigo. I had this problem really bad last year and the year before. I know how rough that is. Be careful and don't over do it! I know you like to keep going like the energizer bunny! Your give-away is a nice and fun idea. The cookbook sounds like a really good read! Congratulations on your part of history there!!
Blessings,
Susie

Grammy Goodwill said...

Oh, my. I am so sorry to hear about the dizziness. I hope it goes away soon.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Dang, hope you're doing much better real soon! We never called it chocolate gravy. That's a newfangled term as far as I've concerned. I grew up just eatin' chocolate!!

ruthie said...

Please have your doctor check the crystals in your inner ear. I had to get mine shook back to normal. Sounds crazy but it works.

srpprcrftr said...

Hey gal that's a bummer about your ears. Been there, done that, it's miserable as I was sick to stomach constantly. Couldn't ride in a car.
I'm familiar somewhat with the delta food as my hubs is an actual Okie from Muskogee. When we first got married he asked me if I knew how to make biscuits and gravy... uh no. He also pronounced some words real funny.He's pretty much lost his Okie accent unless he's around his family, they're all still in OK and we live in CO.
Sure hope your doc finds the right kind of meds for you as being hot and the humidity sure won't help that sick tummy. Take real good care of yourself and don't worry about all of us, don't think we're about to desert you any time soon. Let us know how it goes ok? Take care

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I hope that you feel better soon! Dizziness is no fun! Hugs, Leena

Maureen Wyatt said...

You want to get over that ear problem so you can savour the thrill of being featured in the book! Congratulations and get well fast.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I hope you'll feel better soon. My mom has the same problem sometimes and her doctor is able to fix it by making her do a special move very quickly.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Congratulations! That is so cool you were featured in a book!! I will have to hunt down a copy.
So sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, hope you get better soon!

pballard said...

Hoping your on the mend very soon!

Diane said...

I've had inner ear problems and dizziness like that before too, but it didn't last as long as yours though. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I had that condition numerous times until someone taught me to lie facedown on the bed, then hang my head over the side (top of head facing floor) and stay that way for a few minutes. Honestly, it gets rid of it every time. Hope it might help you, too!

Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...