Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Butler's Pantry and A Kitchen Pantry at Bassett Hall


Hello Everyone!
I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour of Bassett Hall's 1930s Kitchen. . . .As you know, I'm an old-fashioned gal and feel right at home in such a setting. . . .I so hoped you would appreciate it, too. . . .and you DID! . . .Thank you for all your dear comments. . . .I have a couple more rooms to show you. . . .Hope you enjoy them, too.
 
Bassett Hall has two wonderful pantries. . . .each with it's own purpose. . . .
If you watch Downtown Abbey (and who doesn't?), you'll be familiar with a pantry such as this. . . .a room--off the dining room--where the prepared food is brought to be served by the butler or service person. . . .The cabinets are filled with china, crystal, silver serving pieces, tableware--anything that might be needed to present a beautiful table.
 
At Bassett Hall, there are several sets of china--formal and informal. . . .My particular favorite is the one above. . . .I'm drawn to anything with roses every time. . . .and I do love the soft green. . . .
 
 
I particularly wanted to share this pantry with you for two reasons. . . .The contrast between the 1930s work kitchen and the traditional butler's pantry is striking, isn't it? . . .It's almost a shock going from the formality of this room to the informality of the kitchen. . . .both equally beautiful. . . .but very different in décor. . . .
 
I also loved the sink addition. . . .Not all butler's pantries have them. . . .There are so many ideas that could be incorporated in a traditional kitchen of today. . . .the stainless steel sink and top, the plain and simple cabinets, the wood countertop. . . .Add a stove and refrigerator, and it would make a perfectly lovely farmhouse kitchen.
 
 
Sorry the green color looks so different in this photo. . . .I wanted you to see a little more detail of the cabinets. . . .and love the little wooden steps for the taller upper cabinets. . . .The actual cabinet color is the soft green you saw above in the previous photos.
 
Now, to the second pantry on today's tour. . . .
The kitchen pantry has a very different function. . . .It's a fairly large room. . . .stocked with canned goods, pots and pans, mixers, bowls, measuring cups, scales. . . .anything that might be needed for food preparation. . . .and handy to the work areas. . . .
 

 
I would absolutely LOVE to have a room such as this in my farmhouse. . . .wouldn't you?
I envy you who do have a walk-in pantry. . . .Seems I'm constantly shuffling the contents of my kitchen shelves in order to add one more pot or bowl. . . .
 
 
Can you better understand why I wasn't ready to leave Bassett Hall? . . . .So much to soak in and so little time. . . .My mind was darting here and there, thinking how I could do this or that to my own home. . . .and I've only shown you two rooms of Bassett Hall! . . .Two rooms are all you get for now. . . .Maybe a few more later in the year. . . .I have other goodies to share with you from Colonial Williamsburg--as I have the time. . . .With Windows 8.1, I can't upload photos from my Sony camera. . . .I'm not the only one who's complaining. . . .They are aware of the problem and say they are working on it. . . .In the meantime, I have to upload my pics to someone else's computer and transfer them to mine. . . .It's a hassle. . . .and takes a lot more time. . . .but, I won't let it stop me! . . . .I don't give up that easily! . . .In fact, I have some new photos of our farmhouse bath I want to share. . . .it's a lot more plain and simple. . . .but elegant, too. . . .I added 'new' vintage crystal prisms to the chandelier. . . .and does the bath glow from them! . . .I think you'll like it.
 
Til then. . . .Hugs. . . . and Blessings. . .
 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .
 



11 comments:

Old Time Cindy said...

Sigh. I have a pantry obsession so I will be pinning this. Such a wonderful look and useful purpose. I have a small area that I hope to make into my own little farmhouse pantry someday. Thanks for sharing!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Jan said...

I have a small walk-in pantry, though nothing like these! This post started me thinking about ways that I could utilize that space in a much better way. Thanks!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

What is not to love about all these rooms...the kitchen was wonderful. I loved the 'unfit' kitchen.
The Butler's Pantry would make a wonderful kitchen... I'd be happy to have it.
But what I really envy-- the PANTRY. I'm like you shuffling items and food stuff around in order to make room.
It is my goal this year to have more organized cupboards in my kitchen in order to have a more 'pantry feel' to them.
... you asked at the top of your post 'Who Doesn't {what DA}... I confess.
I don't.
But you probably weren't surprised to know that. ;)
...I do rather enjoy SHERLOCK (BBC verstion) Pat

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Oh how I would a pantry! Unfortunately bungalows don't have room for them. But we are working on a "pantry" cupboard for food items. Right now we have to get down on the floor to see what we have.
Those dishes are gorgeous! I would take them all! Lol!
Again, thank you for sharing! I am enjoying them so much!

Dawn said...

My pantry is a favorite spot of mine, Im not sure why newer homes don't have them. I love the china in Bassett Hall's pantry :)

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I'm really enjoying the visit to Bassett Hall. It's been a while since we have visited there. Over Valentines this year we will be spending time in Williamsburg and you have convinced me that I must return to Bassett Hall. ♥

cynthia lee designs said...

Now that is a farmhouse pantry to wish for...love it!!
hugs,
Cindy

Pamela Gordon said...

I really love these photos of the pantry and butler's panty at Bassett Hall. I love the green paint, the stainless sink and counter, the step stool and the gorgeous china. LOVE it! The yellow pantry is sweet with it's shelves and brackets. At least you have the pictures to drool over when you want to. :-)

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I have no pantry, my cottage is too small for that, but it was really nice to daydream about those two wonderful ones all the same!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Dru, this pantry is a dream!! Love it and Bassett Hall looks like an amazing place. I do have a walk through pantry but not for prep work, just storage. It would be fabulous to have a counter and sink.
Thank you for sharing this.
So nice to see you and thank you for visiting. Have a blessed Sunday.
Hugs

Pam said...

Lovely photos. I love the second pantry and would I ever love to have a pantry like that! All the shelves!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...