Sunday, October 5, 2014

SUNDAY: If You Grew Up In The South

The Magers Women: Grandmother Alice Magers, Mamie Mae Magers Griffin, Emma Irene Magers Duncan, Naoma Ruth Magers Gill, ca 1960s

"If you grew up in the South, especially in the Bible Belt of the Deep South, you understand how much religion is a part of the fabric of Southern life. We know the power and promise of contagious, outrageous joy in the Lord, and we know that Sunday is a day set aside for dressing up, visiting friends, and dining with the neighbors.
WHETHER IT WAS THE LORD OR MAMA WHO DECREED IT THAT WAY,
WE SOMETIMES AREN'T SO SURE."
(from The Grits Guide to Life)
 
Cousins Malcolm Roosevelt Griffin, Jr. and Ordie Magers Griffin
 
Sunday Hugs to All



9 comments:

Egretta Wells blog said...

I love it! Yes, I grew up in the South and I do believe my Momma had a hat just like one of those ladies. And we all wore gloves...a lady had to have gloves on...and those little clutch bags. I still have one of mine and use it every now and then, just to make people stare. This post really brings back memories of dressing up and going to church. Nowadays, I still go to church, but people just wear any old thing! Guess it's o.k just so you go. It is about God, really and not our dress!!

BumbleBeeLane said...

As a southerner now living in the north, I so miss the sunday gatherings. Yes only a belle would understand..smile.. Have a blessed Sunday!

Jan said...

I do remember those Sunday mornings-dressed in our best with a hat and gloves. I still have one of my mother's hats. Thanks for the memory!

sweetvintageofmine said...

I was a child but how I miss those days~~~The simple ways of Life...to God be the glory! Sweet post! Blessings~~~Roxie

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh yes, Sunday Best! Love how the woman wore such fabulous hats. Not quite like it use to be. Still dress nice to go to church on Sunday, but the hats and gloves are a thing of the past. :(
hugs,
Jann

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love the old photos!

Old Time Cindy said...

The good old days! Great photos!

Becky said...

I did not grow up in the south but I certainly remember Sundays with my grandmother dressed in her best complete with the hat and gloves! Thanks for the reminder. What a priceless family photo you have too.

Naoma Ruth said...

White gloves, yes! On Mother's Day we little girls wore a red rose from the yard. Mother always wore a white one to signify her mother was dead.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...